The beauties of Kenya

Sunday, August 22, 2010

We have been here an entire week...

and it just doesn't seem possible. It could be months, when considering how quickly we've adapted to the differences in Kenya. It could be hours, as time seems to be flying by.

We are currently in Mombassa, which is the second largest city in Kenya and on the coast. Joe and Nancy were gracious enough to allow us to use their one week timeshare at the Royal Reserve Resort. It is amazing. Our apartment is 20 steps to the ocean. It was glorious to sit on the balcony and watch the sun rise over the Indian Ocean this morning while sipping Kenyan tea. The girls are thrilled to have the choice of two swimming pools and other activities including table tennis, camel riding on the beach, volleyball, and tennis, all with a Kenyan twist. This afternoon the gardener used a huge machete to show us how to cut open a coconut and drink the coconut water. He is going to spend some time Thursday with a few gardening surprises.

Since this is my first update in about 6 days allow me to back up. I'm sure, if you're new to our adventures, you might be wondering who is who in our tribe of adventurers. 

I met Joe and Nancy in Kenya on my first trip in 2002. They hosted our travel group of 15 people with a delicious Kenyan meal. I am not sure why we connected so quickly, perhaps because I was one of the older travelers on the trip. When I returned to Kenya 3 months later to adopt Aggie I was told it would take 3 weeks. When I arrived the attorney I was using laughed and asked why I had come. Rather than detail the entire drama, Joe and Nancy were the ones who came to the rescue and connected me with a prominent attorney who referred me to the attorney I used, Nyambura. I did stay 3 months but felt confident that I had the right attorney, which was more than 80% of the battle. I also got to know Joe and Nancy really well during those months. They helped me in so many ways, ways that only family will in most instances.

If that wasn't enough to bond us for life, when Lillian was identified as my daughter, they went to the orphanage and brought her into their home for 2 months while I completed all the paperwork necessary to get to Kenya. I often say that I don't know many people who would agree to feed your pets for a week, let alone care for your child for 2 months. They have been to the US several times for graduations and weddings, we always have a really great time. I've learned the most about Kenyan life, culture and politics from the Kiragus.

Joe and Nancy have 3 grown children in the US and a daughter in Australia. Kihiu is currently here with us. He just finished his Masters degree at the University of Nebraska. He is our guide, translator and all around hilarious travel companion. In Kenya, there are some men who have multiple wives. We've had a lot of fun joking about what people must think about our traveling gaggle. A few people have dared to ask and we've joked that we are Kihiu's three wives. It may sound silly but it really does lead to some funny conversations. And then add all the people who turn to Linda and Noreen, assuming they are Aggie and Lillian's Mom.

Which brings me to Linda and Noreen. Linda is Aggie's godmother and is Nana to everyone. Nana lets everyone know that her spontaneous~ ness needs to be planned well in advance. Here, she's had about 30 seconds notice for what's coming next so imagine how she has been stretched beyond her comfort zone every hour.  Noreen is godmother to Lillian and is her steady lap during all of our travel. Noreen has raised many relatives and has a way with the girls in some of our most challenging moments. I have known and worked with both for more than 13 years. And, our friendship is jumping to a whole new level after sharing 18 hours of flights, flat tires in the middle of Kenya and flights on small airplanes.

The other two women in this photo are Jessy and Nyambura. Jessy is from Rwanda. At the age of 14 she became a Missionary of Charity nun to escape the Genocide. She cared for Aggie in the orphanage. Well, that truly is an understatement, she saved her life. She also left the order shortly after Aggie came home and Jessy has kept in touch. She recently graduated with a degree in IT and is working in Nairobi. We keep in touch often and it was a delight to see her at Nyambura's for dinner Friday evening. There is a photo of Jessy and Aggie on Aggie's dresser. Aggie is a baby and Jessy is in a sari. Now we can add another photo of Aggie with Jessy 7 years later. 

Nyambura, as I mentioned earlier, was our attorney for both adoptions. Our friendship has blossomed and she has visited us in the US. We are figuring out some projects to work on together. It will be a joy to make more good things happen.

Back to the journey.  We went to the giraffe center and the elephant center, getting to be complete tourists. We've had other adventures, including 3 days on safari in Massai Mara, a trip to the orphanage, and a long drive to Mombassa. The adventures from each are to follow...for now, I am off to bed so we can go on a journey to Malindi tomorrow, a coastal town north of Mombassa.

Lala salama (sleep well).

No comments:

Post a Comment