The beauties of Kenya

Wednesday, February 28, 2018

Are you real sisters?

Are they real sisters?
How much did you pay for them?
Don't you hate to do their hair?
Why can't you be more like your sister? (one still gets that one regularly)
And my all time favorite, "Why didn't you pick Chinese babies, and then at least people will know they are adopted." (you know, because you would never want anyone to think you've been with a black man)

We have heard them all. Thankfully we don't get them quite as frequently as we once did. I think it's because I am not as visible with my girls all the time. They now travel in their own circles. And, I just don't leave myself open to questions from (stupid) strangers.

Now our conversations are about how to stay safe, how people perceive you and if something goes down when you are with your white friends, you will be blamed. No matter what. You are to call me, text me or do whatever you can to let me know where you are and I will get there. I am acutely aware that I will not always be around to get there, but for now, it's my life.

None of this is for sympathy. It's reality for us. As cool and awesome as my girls truly are, they will one day leave the bubble of our awesome community and figure this crap out on their own.

http://www.epicdash.com/woman-adopts-two-chinese-girls-comments-people-make-children-horrendous/

No comments:

Post a Comment